Cosmeceuticals are nonprescription skin care products that can improve the function of skin and provide a more youthful appearance. The word is a combination of two words; “cosmetic” and “pharmaceutical”.
Is a cosmeceutical the same as a cosmetic?
No, cosmetics alter the surface of the skin by changing the color (mascara, blush) or the appearance of the skin. Cosmeceuticals, in contrast, alter the way that the skin cells grow and perform. Cosmeceutical skincare contains active ingredients like vitamins, antioxidants and botanicals to help improve skin tone and texture, pigmentation and fine lines. They are formulated to be highly effective for topical use. Basically, cosmeceutical skincare will deliver better results for your skin compared to very mild or buffered ingredients in retail skincare products.
Depending on the product you’re using, cosmeceuticals can improve:
- Sun-damaged skin
- Pigmentation and scarring
- Dryness and dullness
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Overall skin luminosity
Examples of Active Ingredients in Cosmeceuticals:
- Antioxidants, such as vitamin C, an antioxidant when added to a skincare product.
- Botanical Extracts from Plants and oils derived from flowers, herbs, seeds, nuts, roots, and berries
- Marine Extracts, sea algae, seaweed, marine algae, and micro-algae
- Peptides can provide significant anti-aging benefits when used in skincare products
- Depigmenting agents that help lighten the skin and lose skin pigment
- UV Protection that offers sun protection
- Exfoliants help remove dead skin and outer layers of thickened skin, encouraging skin turnover.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids soften fine wrinkles, lighten pigmentation spots, tighten and improve skin texture
Taking care of your body and mind is important, and that includes your skin. Cosmeceuticals improve appearance, but they do so by delivering nutrients necessary for healthy skin. Loss of elasticity, wrinkles, age spots, and dry or thinning skin make it challenging to maintain your beauty, especially if you’re sensitive to or unable to use drugstore products.
If you’re interested in learning more about Cosmeceuticals products please contact us today at 330-425-7600 or set up an appointment online by clicking here to get a head start on holiday shopping! We will discuss your needs and concerns, and determine the best products for you!