This picture was taken of the first patient I saw in my office on May 4th, our first day back from being closed in Ohio during the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s so important to know the warning signs of Malignant Melanoma.
We call them the ABC’s
- A is for ASYMMETRY the mole is uneven from side to side
- B is for BORDER the periphery of the mole is jagged or irregular, scaly or undefined
- C is for COLOR the mole is dark brown or black or varied with multiple colors within it
- D is for DIAMETER the mole is usually bigger then 6mm (the size of a pencil eraser)
- E is for EVOLVING the mole looks different from all the rest, is changing size, shape, color or itching, bleeding or burning.
If you or anyone you know has a mole that looks like this or is showing any of the warning signs noted above please get it checked. We recommend everyone have an annual complete skin exam. This month is skin cancer awareness month. So be aware!
We have re-opened the office for those who need to come in. TeleMedicine appointments are available for other issues. Please call our office at (330) 425-7600 to schedule an appointment.